04 March 2008

Geometric Form (Triangle, Fanfare, Cafe, Firecracker, Obvious)

I sat at the corner café telling myself it was obvious that there would be no fanfare at the dinner table when I announced to the family that I had made the school band. Mom plays piano, dad violin. Colin and Sally play guitar. I’m the painter. I can paint all of them on canvas to keep for prosperity. Tonight, I’ll smile sweetly, nervously, and Colin, ever the older brother, will look at me with that sly twinkle in his eye. “What’s going on, Firecracker?” he’ll ask. “Nothing,” I’ll say and grin ‘til I giggle. When dad comes to the table I’ll blurt out that I made band. They’ll all ask with their eyes, too cautious to use their words. I’ll stay quiet for a while. Someone will pass the mashed potatoes, the conversation will turn to details about their day, and I’ll say it, “I’m playing the Triangle.”

~Ther Mumz is a writer who dabbles in many other fields in life

No comments: