10 February 2008

The Reticent Murderer (Hobby, Mug, Reticent, Knife, Intrigue)

I am a most reticent murderer. I’m afraid I do not take pleasure any longer in the intrigue that is involved in planning out the best possible way to kill a man…all those hours of watching, stalking, and studying…all that time spent imagining the how and where…all the effort of deciding the best tool to use: knife or gun; electrocution or poison. Shall I run him over in a car? Or push him in front of the subway? After all these years, I am finding it tedious.

But, each job is unique and each demands its own attention. So onward I move. What are his daily habits? When does he leave for the office? Where does he go for lunch and with whom? Does his wife know what he is doing on his business trips to Hong Kong? Does she suspect or is she totally oblivious? Does she know jogging is not a healthy hobby her dear husband has recently picked back up but an excuse that affords him the opportunity to be unavailable to her for an hour everyday yet available to the pretty young associate from his firm? I take hundreds of pictures – by the time I am ready to transition to the last phase of the project, his mug literally wallpapers my office. There are pictures of him walking his dog, hailing a taxi, dining with his wife, walking his kids to school…and kissing his girlfriend. Always there is a girlfriend. That is the one common thread that runs through each job.

I have decided on this one. The plans are complete. The details have been polished and set out for examination hour upon hour. I find them faultless. It is perfect. This may be my most creative work yet. A satisfied sigh slips from me as I slide on my red stiletto heels and move to the mirror in the front hall to carefully put on my lipstick.

~Belinda is a mom, wife, and engineer in North Carolina and has never planned to murder anyone. She writes, muses, and ponders at upsidedownbee.blogspot.com

No comments: