04 April 2008

My Head (Baseball, Caramel, Curry, Horns, Rain)

I’ve had the strangest headache for the past three days. It’s really more of a skull-ache or a scalp-ache, I suppose, than a traditional headache. Nothing I take seems to give any relief; I’ve tried Motrin, Excedrin, and Aleve. The pain is centered on the top of the right side of my head in an area about the size of a baseball. It’s been keeping me up at night.

This morning around 2am, awake and uncomfortable, I turned on the TV and flipped around until I settled on the Food Channel. I watched a show on Indian food and now I have a great coconut chicken curry recipe to try. A blessing in disguise, I suppose. Then I tried to go back to sleep by lying still and listening to the rain pinging on the gutters. It didn’t work, but it was rather peaceful to be awake in the middle of the night, listening to all the sounds a sleeping house makes.

Finally, around 5am, I gave up and decided to just get up for the day. I made myself a caramel-flavored coffee with our new fancy one-cup brewer and settled down on the couch to do a little reading. The pain was too distracting, so I gave that up, too. I went to the bathroom to see if I could find anything on my scalp that would be making it hurt so bad. I parted my hair and gave myself a good examination. What I saw was very disconcerting.

I think I’m sprouting horns.

~Belinda, writing at Upside Down Bee, really has had a weird headache for the last three days. Her husband was the one who suggested it was horns.

No comments: