20 April 2008

Squash Blossoms (Squash, Raffle, Quesadilla, One-Man-Band, Heinous)

It’s that time again…I’m planning my backyard garden. This year I’m going for simplicity: two tomato plants (Better Boys and Early Girls – I try for sexual equality in my gardening!), two squash plants, one cucumber plant, and one pepper bush. It’s a one-man band, though, as my husband has sworn off gardening following last season’s debacle. I wanted to try container gardening and after about $300 and many hours of labor, our garden yielded about five tomatoes. He pointed out that put our tomatoes at $60 each. He says he's satisfied just sticking with store-bought tomatoes, no matter the exorbitantly heinous prices and bland taste. I just can’t give up so easily. I still dream of juicy tomato and mayo sandwiches on fresh white bread. But I am trying hard to keep the dollar investment to a minimum this go-around. So far I’m up to $35.76 for plants, mulch, a new shovel, and a raffle ticket for an electric tiller.

I’ve found some interesting recipes using squash blossoms that I can't wait to try: squash blossom quesadillas, batter fried squash blossoms, and cheese-stuffed blossoms. Squash blossoms are not something that you can usually find in the produce department at your local grocery stores because they are extremely perishable. At best, they will last only two days in your refrigerator’s crisper and that's if you wash and store them perfectly. I’m hoping to pluck these little delicacies right off my plants, rinse them off, and cook them up. Wish me luck!

~Belinda definitely does not have a green thumb, but tries to give gardening a go every now and then. See her blog at Upside Down Bee for links to these yummy squash blossom recipes!

No comments: